Dr. Henry G. Bieler was a prominent “American physician to the Hollywood stars.” He was widely recognized as a pioneer in alternative medicine who used non-pharmaceutical, diet-based therapies to cure or control various diseases including asthma, diabetes, and cancer. One of his well known remedies was Bieler’s Broth a very effective detoxifying and cleansing vegetable broth.
Bieler’s Broth is a great recipe for alkalizing the body, supporting the liver, and providing beneficial nutrients. IFNH highly recommends it as a meal replacement for detoxification and nourishment. Patients sometimes will notice flulike symptoms for the first 8 to 12 hours using the broth for detoxification, but after that they usually feel energized. In the 40s and 50s it wasn’t unusual for people to use this recipe for 2 to 5 day fast.
- zucchini squash
- green beans
- Extra virgin olive oil -or- unsalted organic butter
- Clean, chemical-free water
- Cut up equal amounts of zucchini squash, green beans (frozen or fresh) and celery. (Chop the celery 1/2 inch or less to eliminate stringiness.)
- Steam until soft using clean water (distilled – or – reverse-osmosis and carbon filtered) in a porcelain or stainless steel pot. Do not use aluminum or copper cookware.
- Fill blender 1/2 full with the vegetables and the water used for steaming. Add a small handful of chopped raw parsley. Blend to a consistency of pea soup (or, as desired).
- Add small amount of unsalted organic raw butter or preferably extra virgin olive oil.
- For variety and to suit your own taste, try adding garlic, onions, cayenne pepper, ginger, herbs, like Turmeric or Cumin.